Monday, August 02, 2010

Why I Support Adrian Fenty for Mayor

A friend on Twitter whose opinion I respect tremendously tweeted something tonight that surprised me:

roopikarisam: Disappointed that the Washington Post endorsed @Fenty2010 not @grayformayor. Did they miss last week's firing of 200+ DCPS teachers?!

I've talked to lots of teachers (and parents) about the recent firings of teachers rated Fair or Poor. Generally teachers say - yes there may be some bad teachers - heck - maybe even all 241 teachers were bad - but is the process *fair*? Where as parents say - get the bad teachers out FAST and if that means we lose a few good ones in the process - that sucks, but I know people at my private sector job that were great that got fired and shouldn't have - sometimes life isn't fair but I want my kid to have the best shot.

And there is the heart of the matter.... are we ... or rather... is THE STATE ...
A) in the business of education to provide lots of jobs that set the standard for fair labor practices or
B) to provide the most efficient, high quality education it can provide.

As a mom - I vote B.

I've watched as school superintendent after school superintendent failed to improve outcomes in DC schools. It seemed the more experience they had, the slower they would move and the more careful they would be.

Rhee isn't careful - she's bullish - and she's bullish about my son's education. I was a public school kid and as a single mom I can't afford private school but I make far too much to get financial aid. I need the public schools to work and Michelle Rhee has proven to me that she will put her neck on the line to give my son - to give Jesse - the best chance at having a good education in the public system. Will it take me being a helicopter mom and fighting for the best teachers and the best schools - absolutely! But that is much easier to do when the chancellor and I are on the same page. No BS. Bad teachers go. Sorry.

This election is not - as @roopikarisam correctly observed - about Fenty and Gray - it's about Rhee or not... Gray wins... Rhee is replaced and even if the replacement is brilliant - it still means my kid loses as that new person comes up to speed.

Rhee is getting quantifiable results. Losing her would put us right back at the bottom of the stack and it will show that accountability doesn't hold a candle to tenure and frankly that is not what I want Jesse to learn.

I drive around DC and I see lots of yard signs - Fenty/ Gray/Fenty/Gray. This city is split! But for once it's not split between blacks and whites - it's split between parents and non-parents. Non parents proudly put their Gray sign out declaring a) I am sick of so much time and energy going to the schools and b) Why do they keep arrogantly firing hard working people? Parents put them out earnest begging for another 4 years to see if Rhee can turn the schools all the way around as she appears to be doing. All politics is personal and if I didn't have a kid in the public school system maybe I'd get on my pro-labor high horse but I do have a kid and I hope people without kids realize how important turning the DC schools around is for them too.

Anyway that's my two cents. I've asked the soon-to-be Dr. Risam for her input as well as her arguments are always intelligent and illuminating!

More: http://bit.ly/fentyrhee2

1 comment:

  1. For more on this discussion see: http://bit.ly/fentyrhee2

    ReplyDelete