Monday, May 19, 2008

Feeling the Post-Race Love


One of the surprising side-effects of completing your first triathlon is a lot of folks in your life will say a lot of very nice things to you. If you are the type of person who is motivated by this it might be a reason to do a tri. For me, doing this triathlon was all about setting a “Wildly Improbable Goal” and actually reaching it. That said, the words of praise and appreciation from my co-workers, friends, family, coaches, and fellow followers of the Brooke Castillo Church of Self-Love have been overwhelming and I wanted to share them with you here. This will be a long post but it will give you a sense of how you might feel when you complete a goal that is in line with your North Star.


Congrats from Co-Workers


------ Forwarded Message
From: Fred
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 12:47:10 -0400
To: voxant_staff
Subject: Congratulations to Angela

Hey everyone,

I just want you all to know that our Angela completed her first triathalon this morning. Angela was one of about 50 athletes competing in the Marilyn Lathom "Homegrown" Triathalon in Reston. Angela successfully complete a 1K swim, 20K bike run and 5K run. She even beat her goal time by 9-minutes!

She may be just a little sore when you see her tomorrow. But not to worry . . . pain is temporary, pride lasts a lifetime. Congratulations Angela. You're a rock star! :)

Fred

------ Forwarded Message
From: Carisa
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:50:07 -0400
To: Angela
Subject: RE: Congratulations to Angela

Congratulations Angela! What an accomplishment. J

------ Forwarded Message
From: Catherine
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:54:46 -0400
To: Angela
Subject: FW: Congratulations to Angela

So very cool!

I didn’t think the event was till the fall, you have a lot to be proud of !!!

------ Forwarded Message
From: Courtenay
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:04:47 -0400
To: Angela
Subject: FW: Congratulations to Angela

As Dick Vitale would say, “Awesome Baby!!’

Congrats!

- CC

------ Forwarded Message
From: Steve
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 12:49:01 -0400
To: Angela
Subject: RE: Congratulations to Angela

Congrats Angela! That is really impressive!

------ Forwarded Message
From: Sienna
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:34:48 -0400
To: Angela
Subject: RE: Congratulations to Angela

This is really an awesome achievement Angela! Makes me want to go for the same! (I think it’s beyond me but your doing it makes me feel I can too! One day…)

Congratulations!

Sienna J

------ Forwarded Message
From: Ricky
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:47:22 -0400
To: Angela
Subject: RE: Congratulations to Angela

Congratulations, Angela!

You accomplished an amazing feat. I know I couldn’t do a triathlon. Running a mile knocks me out.

------ Forwarded Message
From: Stephanie
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:34:44 -0400
To: Angela
Subject: RE: Congratulations to Angela

You Rock! I’m so happy for you and as a fellow mommy (and, uhum, 30-something), so proud!

------ Forwarded Message
From: Michael
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:12:33 -0400
To: Angela
Subject: FW: Congratulations to Angela

Who knew?

****************************

Love from Friends

-----Original Message-----
From: Dara
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 8:01 pm
Subject: RE: I did it!

SO exciting!!! Wish I could have been there – didn’t get back into town until 2:00. BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

------ Forwarded Message
From: Heidi
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:34:48 -0400
To: 'Angela Lauria'
Subject: RE: pedal until you're tired...

You’ve got to be just bursting with pleasure.

Ah, that impulse to sprint, it’s such a great one, and such a sign of your body and your mind being lined up together. And once you do it, it has the added advantage of pumping endorphins into a system that was already feeling pretty damned great. Ah.

That kind of thing doesn’t happen to everybody, and I’m so glad you got yourself there. I hope the Shenandoah thing works out, that could be so fun. Keep training!

What did you eat? If it was biking alone, I could have predicted ravenous hunger precisely 2 hours after your stopped, but I don’t know what happens with THREE lunacies.

Lovelove,

Heidi

-----Original Message-----
From: Sally
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 12:21 pm
Subject: I was there

In Spirit!!!

This morning I had to literally say to myself "Sally, prioritize, time with family or be at the finish line for Ang?" Of course it was not easy because I wanted to be there for you, then I remembered that just the idea of me and the others being there was going to help you get through to the finish, so I relaxed knowing that you would understand and that you are definitely not alone. I love you and I am proud of you and I knew you could do it!!!

Love you!
Sally

-----Original Message-----
From: Kortney
To: Angela
Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:48 am
Subject: Re: I did it!

What a wonderful accomplishment. I am so proud of you : )
Kortney

-----Original Message-----
From: Daphne
To: Angela
Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 9:03 am
Subject: Re: I did it!

Congrats! SOOOOO very proud of you! Girl Power.

Let's catch up soon.

Love you
Daph

-----Original Message-----
From: Rachael
To: Angela
Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 8:56 am
Subject: RE: I did it!

That is so awesome! Quite and accomplishment. You are glowing in the picture (rightly so).

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob
To: Angela
Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 8:57 am
Subject: Re: I did it!

wow...that's INCREDIBLE

------ Forwarded Message
From: Laureen
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 18:39:13 -0700
To: Angela
Subject: RE: I did it!

I am so proud of you, I could just bust!! Just got off the phone w. Ker who gave me scoop from the cheering section! My god, what an achievement, Girl!!! You just bust balls!!! Such big congrats…

I love you!!!!

L



****************************

Praise from Dragon-Slayers & Other Disciples of Brooke

-----Original Message-----
From: Loreen
To: Angela
Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 11:36 am
Subject: RE: Message on Race Morning

CONGRATULATIONS ANGELA!!!!! I am so proud of you! What an awesome achievement this is – on so many levels! I really admire your determination and commitment! Way to Slay! I get goosebumps just thinking of you sprinting across that finish line with the cheering of the crowd J I am so happy for you!

Love, Loreen

-----Original Message-----
From: karen
To: Angela
Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 9:47 am
Subject: WOW!!! Way to go!

Way to go, Angela! I am so very proud of you! What a great personal achievement!
You are my "Today's Hero". I am going to smile all day thinking about your pictures and the look of pride in your face. Love to you and Jesse, Karen T.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie
To: Angela
Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 2:30 am
Subject: RE: I did it!

I have to just say…….YOU ROCK!!!! I am so impressed and amazed at you. Talk about a 180 with exercise!!! I am sure you are still either A.) high as a kite or B.) dead in bed. Either way you should be so proud of yourself! I know I am!!



Take care,

Jamie

P.S. NO ONE CAN EVER TAKE THE FEELINGS YOU FELT WHEN YOU CROSSED THAT FINISH LINE…….That is forever!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ellen
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:43 pm
Subject: Re: I did it!


Ur AWESOME!! CONGRATS!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Suzanne Hansen
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:06 pm
Subject: Re: I did it!

WAY TO GO love the pictures, you look fabulous and are radiant!!
You are inspiring me to set a goal!
Love ya,
Suzanne

-----Original Message-----
From: Heidi
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 9:13 pm
Subject: RE: I did it!

WAY TO GO!!!! I am soooooo proud of you, Angela-you rock!!
Love,
Heidi

-----Original Message-----
From: Jennifer
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 7:57 pm
Subject: RE: I did it!

I am so so so so so proud of you! You looked beautiful and strong and fabulous. :)

Jennifer

-----Original Message-----
From: Kim
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 7:41 pm
Subject: Re: Message on Race Morning

I have always known what a powerful woman you are Angela, and this will prove it to yourself. What power to know you have participated in a TRIATHALON. You will carry this with you as you accomplish ANYTHING else in your life you want. Mostly, (of course you are done now) have fun. All the work of the training is done and today is for basking in the accomplishment because the race itself is not the accomplishment--all the work that you faithfully did to prepare is the big prize. So proud of you Miss "I hate exercise" KIM

-----Original Message-----
From: KATHY
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 7:47 am
Subject: Re: Message on Race Morning

Wow, Angela. I'm so excited for you! To accomplish something like that when just last summer you were not too excited about exercising, is really amazing. I can't wait to hear about your adventure. I hope there are pictures of you over the finish line too! Here's to you, Angela! Kathy


-----Original Message-----
From: Irene
To: Angela
Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 7:38 pm
Subject: Re: I did it!

Oh My Gosh Angela - YOU ROCK!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing achievement and making me a feel a part of it even though I wasn't there - physically, that is. Unbelievable that this came from the same woman who swore up and down that she hated to exercise when we were on a walk in Tahoe.....You are an inspiration! Love you tons, Irene

-----Original Message-----
From: Coach Lisa
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 10:01 am
Subject: Re: Message on Race Morning

I've been thinking of you this weekend, my friend, too... remembering its your big day... What you've been working toward for months.

Can't tell you how friggin proud I am to know you. You are an incredible inspiration to so many... But most to yourself!

I'm thinking of you today as you show yourself more of what you're made of... And can't wait to hear about it!

Rock on girl!

Xoxoxo
Lisa

****************************

Pride and Joy from Family

-----Original Message-----
From: Mom
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:20 pm
Subject: Re: I did it!

I am extremely proud of you and your accomplishment. Sorry I didn't get to talk to you, but I hope you got the message I sent. You had great support and you never fail to amaze me. Love you with all my heart, Mom

-----Original Message-----
From: Dad
To: Angela
Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 8:01 am
Subject: Re: I did it!

Congratulations: What a month for you. Purchase a new home and run a marathon....THAT'S MY KIND OF A MOMMY. You did great something you will remember for ever. We are so proud of you.

We Love You
Dad and Barb

-----Original Message-----
From: Gina
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 9:19 pm
Subject: RE: I did it!

Congrats from Toby, Cleo and me! We are sooooo proud of you. You rock. No, really. YOU ROCK! Wow! Now, that is inspirational. And, it's getting to be that time...I need to read a book, go to a conference, make a video board. Something.

Good for You!

------ Forwarded Message
From: Toby
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:09:03 -0400
To:
Subject: Congrats

Ang,

I know Gina told you I said congrats, but I wanted to say it myself… CONGRATS!!!

Love ya!

Toby

****************************

Empowerment from My Dream Team

------ Forwarded Message
From: Brian (Personal Trainer)
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 04:18:43 -0700
To:
Subject: your race

You Rock! How’s the ankle? Time now for reston and open water! Congrats. U did great!

BRIAN

------ Forwarded Message
From: Sharon (Running Coach)
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:33:27 -0700
To: Angela
Subject: RE: FW: I did it!

congrats angela!

-----Original Message-----
From: Brooke (Weight Loss Coach)
To: Angela
Sent: Sun, 18 May 2008 9:45 pm
Subject: Re: I did it!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I AM SOOO PROUD OF YOU.

Brooke

(You look amazing by the way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment