Sunday, May 18, 2008

I Did It!

Well - it's official. I am a triathlete! I completed my first tri in 2 hours and 21 minutes - which was 9 minutes under my goal. I haven't received all the official split times yet but I know I set a personal record with the swim which came in at 25:30 - my best in training was 26 (usually more like 28!) I felt strong on the bike even though I just learned how to ride in MARCH!!! My left hamstring was a bit tight but I stretched out before the run and tackled the 5K with gusto. The best part was all the high fives I got from other runners on the course! The last half mile I decided I couldn't run anymore and I was going to walk. Just then I saw my friend Fred (with the beard in the picture). He's a marathon runner and came to meet me for the final stretch. We ran together and I SO did not quit. In fact - I sprinted the last 100 yards. The crowd went WILD!!! So wild we didn't get the picture crossing the finish line (sorry about that). Apparently I was the only one to sprint to the finish. Once things calmed down we took this great shot with my friends who came to cheer me on. They followed me along the race course and made their presence felt so I kept pedaling harder. I'll post a full race once I have my times. I've put up a small collection of pictures in case you want to see what I looked like on race day.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! What an amazing accomplishment! You did it and you did it well! I'm celebrating with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you looked so great out there. you inspire me. love!

    ReplyDelete