Friday, May 16, 2008

I'm an athlete

Last Saturday I went for a bike ride in beautiful Rock Creek Park with my friend Heidi. I was trying out new pedals and I fell. I had a grade 1 ankle sprain just 7 days before my first triathlon. I spent a lot of time this week asking myself what that sprain meant to me. And a lot of time nursing the sprain with physical therapy and ice so I might be race ready. I'm proud to say I will be suiting up on Sunday for my first ever triathlon. It's a long way from I HATE EXERCISE in August. Just 9 months later I'm doing a tri. And maybe more importantly, I am an athlete.

My sprain was the most amazing gift because it taught me something about people who love and take care of their bodies. Having never been in that category, I had spent a lot of my life thinking I wasn't worth nice clothes, or expensive gym memberships, or that I didn't have the time to go to physical therapy every day for a week. But when you put yourself first, it's clear how to take care of yourself. Just like I know what my son needs to be taken care of, I know what my ankle needs. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation and.... self-love. I am an athlete and I took care of my ankle as well as an athlete deserves, as well as I deserve.

I've learned, not only, how to bike and run in these last nine months, but how to listen to my body and give my body the love and attention it deserves.

Now, my ankle and I are going for some last minute training right now - an easy swim and a light jog.

No comments:

Post a Comment