Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Harder to Give than Receive


Yesterday was my first day back in DC. My original plan was to hit the gym before work, but I couldn't quite get out of my own way in the morning. I decided I'd go after work but 5:30 came and went and I didn't get to the gym. It's interesting because all day I was focused on the thought "I can overcome procrastination and obstacles to give myself the gift of exercise," apparently not!

What happened yesterday?

My thoughts and feelings were all quite good at least I wasn't feeling any emotional pain, so why didn't I get to the gym? Clearly it wasn't prioritized, but why? I guess because there are so many things on my plate right now. The house is a mess (does not fit 4 people!), I have all this mail and email to catch up on from the week, I have my nephew Joey with me this week, and I need to find us a place to live since this house I wanted to buy didn't work out.

Yesterday, I prioritized all that over my health because its more immediate.

Bang! There's the thought!

Sometimes (often?) the immediate fires in my life are more important than my health.

Is it true? Yes.
Can I be sure? No.
How do I react when I think this thought? Well, I prioritize my health near the bottom because there are always fires. Also, I feel stressed all the time dealing with fires. I put FIRES at the center of my life.
Who would I be without this thought? I could be someone who chooses to prioritize my health. I could be someone who overcomes obstacles to give myself the gift of exercise!

Turnaround: The immediate fires in my life are NEVER more important than my health.
Is it as true or truer? HELL YES!
Evidence: Without my health, I won't have any fires to fight. Also this is a poison believe system PUSHING me toward a health fire.

I do not want a health fire and will not choose to have one.

4 comments:

  1. Well done Ange! Your blog is inspiring. Moni x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:00 PM

    You identified the thought perfectly. Angela you are doing the work and that is good. I am so proud of you and how hard you are working to identify your beliefs. Great job.
    I love your blog.
    Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:47 PM

    Ditto Marcy's comments... I'm dealing with similar issues around exercise, and I know how hard it is to turn those thoughts around. You're AWESOME! And on that note, I'm going to go get on the stationary bike!
    Love, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:28 PM

    Good job Angela - AND exercise is a great stress reducer ---- maybe you will have fewer fires to tend! Loreen

    ReplyDelete